I talk to dead artists

 


“The Letter” 30” x 60”


Large Interior with Six Figures, 1897.

Oil on canvas, 35.5" x 76.6




(Purchased)

As you may know, I sometimes talk to dead artists😂😂😂 Then blabber about it in paint.  For example, this painting reflects my chat with Edouard Vuillard. His interiors (second image) are populated by his mother, sisters, seamstresses embedded in the flypaper of patterned wallpaper, rugs and dresses. They draw us in. 

But a second look (second image) reveals that each figure, far from frozen in pattern, is each ‘doing a thing.’ Bending, reading, moving. I, personally, sense a confrontation and underlying havoc in this unusual work. A difficult and inelegant conversation is happening. 

I called my version The Letter. I put the man at a piano and turned the lights on.  Havoc or not—I loved the time spent with Vi (as he insists I call him) in this room. 


Many thanks @grandbohemiancharleston 

Large Interior with Six Figures, 1897.

Oil on canvas, 35.5" x 76.6".

Comments

Popular Posts