Four days in lovely Bermuda...One day I took the ferry from Dockyards (near our 9 Beaches cabana) to the other end of the island where I spent the day in St. George, the old, pastel painted village.

I thought to trace the day through the progress of this street view. The gesture of the banana trees and the small building at the top of the road seemed like worthy subjects to tackle.

I spent about 1 1/2 hours on this painting, snapping a photo when I remembered to take a break. Later, I completed another painting from the same spot, just turned 180 degrees. There are natural compositions everywhere you turn in this (okay, I'll say it...) "quaint" village.

Painting turned out okay, but the real joy of the day was getting to know a local who stayed on the bench just next to me.

I learned that he had a son who painted. But he was in a wheelchair due to a hit and run accident. "Didn't get that art talent from me. My only talent is fixing motorcyles. I can fix any motorcyle."

And there are lots of motorcyles (scooters) in Bermuda to fix.

I learned that he was angry that the local police had recently run him off said bench. "Locals have rights, too!"

He said someone had said he was drunk and bothering the tourists. He suspected it was mistaken identity.

He asked me if, on my next visit I would meet his son, the young artist. "Sure. Can I find you on this bench?" I asked.

"Always," he said.


















Comments

  1. I already said this on The Facebook, but I just want to say again that I really enjoyed the step-by-step and hope you'll consider more. I've been studying this one, and working up a question or two, which I'm sure will follow before too long. Great-lloking stuff; keep going!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts