The American Still Life

As one of the three people who check in on my blog, you know
that I have been working on a series of still lifes from an overhead vantage point. Most of these have a small narrative or autobiographical element embedded in them.

The perspective allows for wonderful compositional elements and I often think of the work of some of my favorite "object" painters like Richard Diebenkorn, Manny Farber, Jim Dine and Wayne Thiebaud. Dang. I need to namedrop some "lady" painters here!!
These two works were just accepted into a National Exhibit, The American Still Life, at the Bascom Museum in Highlands, NC.
I'm thrilled!

The opening is Saturday, April 16. Hope to see you three there!!!

One a personal note. It happens that both of these surfaces that I used here were created for me by my cousin, Ken Cauthen, a skilled woodworker who devised masonite "boxes" that were self-framing. They are the perfect design and material for the way I like to paint. And Ken was the sweetest soul on earth. Sadly, we lost Ken to complications after a brain aneurysm. As my paintings go out into the world, so does Ken.

Comments

  1. Your cousin provided a great medium for your wokr. here's to him--and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the takeout containers...like a landscape, with taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet Fish for your "lady" painter of still lifes. Sorry about your cousin. I love your aerial view paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean, I'm always intriqued by your prespective. I'm honored to be hanging in the same show as you. So sorry about your cousin but his work lives on in your pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts