One in Eight. Today I am that One Woman

 



Olivia Newton-John made me  do it. 

If not for this summer's  tributes to Olivia Newton-John, reminding me of her tireless efforts toward Breast Cancer early detection, I may not have made that mammogram appointment. Squished boobs and other indignities seemed like a fair trade for some wonderful music and memories.

Like many, I had Pandemic-delayed a lot of things like mammograms  and dental appointments.  I might have stayed in that space if not for this unlikely nudge. 

Soon I had completed a mammogram and a subsequent  "probably nothing" second screening. Then a "just to be on the safe side" biopsy.

Then.  In August I received the diagnosis that I had Breast Cancer.  One out of 8 women will get this news.  It's a stupid big club.  

I'm confident my story will have a happy ending.  Detected early, I have the most treatable of all breast cancers, an excellent care team and an appreciation that I am a lucky, lucky gal.

I'll go through surgery like a boss, follow up with radiation and drug- therapy for a while.  I'll be a bit side-lined.  A pain, for sure, but on the other side, there's loads of adventure, artwork and love left in me! 

If a pop singer dancing around in shiny black latex and 80's hair doesn't do it for, you, I hope my story will urge you to make that mammogram appointment.  Bribe yourself with a shopping trip or a frozen yogurt afterward.  Your family, your friends, Olivia Newton-John and I will be SO glad you did.  

Full steam ahead and much love, Jean



Have You Ever Been Mellow  (I'm feeling pretty darned mellow right now, but between diagnosis and surgery consult has meant almost 2 months of anguish.  I've relied on family and friends--many who have walked this path--to reassure me.  If you need someone to talk to while in that miserable in-between ditch, please contact me.  My friends taught me how to be a good listener and we'll get to use all the profanity we want.  It's encouraged)



Comments

  1. Jean, my prayers are with you. Thank God you had that Memo! Mine is due in 6 weeks, so I'll make my appt this week. Take such good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are keeping on top of your screenings . I’m grateful I caught early. It’s the key, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Jean, I'm sorry to learn this. And I'm praying for you, your family, and your care team. Yes, full steam ahead, then let the healing begin. Love, Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. I know you’ve walked this path. And look at you now❤️

      Delete
  3. Jean! Grateful that you headed the nudge and detected the cancer early. Treatment is rough, but you will come out on the other side fit and hale and ready for more adventures! Praying that the time between diagnosis and remission will just fly by. Thanks for posting…it has reminded me that I am overdue for my mammogram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was overdue, too. But lucky to still be early stages!

      Delete
  4. Oh Jean I’m sorry you have to face this but thankful for your courage to share it. We will pray for you. I had a run-in with cancer several years ago too so I know the fears and the waiting for answers and the unknowns. But you are a fire and I know you will overcome it ! Sending love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I found following other’s good news stories (including Katie Couric!) helps. I’m VERY lucky!

      Delete
  5. Jean-I will keep you covered in healing prayers. You’ve got this! (& Gods got you!) 🙏🏼❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so hate you are having to make this journey, yet thankful for the nudge and catching it early. Prayers lifted to our Heavenly Father for you sweet friend. Love and hugs being sent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a mundane, practical matter: if you've ever wanted to paint a pig, you'd better do it now. In fact, if you've ever wanted to use pink in any work, get it done soon. In a few months you're going to be so sick of that color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! This made me gafaw!!!! I can see how pink could get tedious so I’m off to paint that damn pig 😂😂😂

      Delete
  8. Jean, if ya wanna chat with another woman who went through a 2020 radical mastectomy (and reconstruction), feel free to call or text me me at Cell 7192103976 or Home 7194941660. I learned a lot from other friends and understand every woman has unique insights. Marta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! no one knows like someone who has been through it. I'm hanging on to your numbers--but just knowing you are there is huge !

      Delete
  9. Oh! Jean! So very sorry you are having to go through this ordeal, but if anyone can weather it and come up smiling, it is you. Color the world pink for finding it early. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've no doubt that this is--at worst--a big PAIN. Caught early and successful treatments!!

      Delete
  10. Love to you as you start on this different type of a trip. Jean, you are a superstar in everything you do. This will be no different. Thanks for sharing!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend I’m doing well and consider myself Lucky! Early stages—excellent prognosis ❤️

      Delete
  11. Thank you for your openness, Jean. I’ll be praying for your journey to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you—I meant as a PSA—I’ll be absolutely fine!!!but the outpouring of support has blown me away!

      Delete
  12. My dear, dear friend and fellow artist extraordinaire! I am so anguished to hear of your news! But am so glad you had the courage to go forward! It is my sincere wish that you have a full recovery and win this battle! You are definitely in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so lucky to have such a positive prognosis!!

      Delete
  13. Jean, thinking of you and looking forward to seeing you back in Listowel where you have a lot of work to do. Remember the first morning when you got off the bus in the Square in Listowel and asked me directions to the Olive Stack Gallery. We had a great laugh that morning. Keep our spirits up and know that you have lots of love and support from lots of people. Stay safe and well. Damian and Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah—Listowel and her greatest ambassador hasn’t seen the last of me!!
      And lord! Do I remember that first meeting—-surprised Laura and I didn’t turn around and get back on the bus 😂😂😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts