Venetian Memories

 Oh my.  I wish I were still lingering at my easel, next to a busy canal in beautiful Venice.  These "souvenirs" will have to do.

Venice is painter friendly with its 150 canals.  The only caveat is that you are not to linger on any of the 409 bridges.  Not a lot to ask, though.  Without cars, bikes or vespas, foot traffic gets congested.
Gondolas are fun to paint, but it's only the tourist who travel that way. Locals take "vaporettas" or walk.Whichever way you travel, every view is beautiful. And thanks to the reflective canals, you get to see it twice.


Venetian Haze.  In my imagination, Venice is the 36 color box of crayons.  But in reality, the colors are usually beautifully muted...like the Crayola grays and browns you never use.
And then there's Burano, a little fishing village, just a vaporetta ride away.  It is the CandyLand board game brought to life!  Every building, a different color.

Ever see the wonderful movie, "Summertime" with Katherine Hepburn?  She plays a "spinster" (probably all of 30 years old) who visits Venice to fulfill a lifelong dream.  At some point,  in the movie, she topples into a canal.
The lit store picture here marks the very spot she fell in.  While painting this nocturnal, I wondered how many tipsy tourists or rambunctious youngsters had the same experience she did!
I found my own brushes, canvases often precariously close to the edge!
Arrive derci Venice.

Comments

  1. It was such a delight to meet you last night, Jean. This work is so beautiful. And some friends I invited to the show will take the little Italian 'CandyLand' home with them, too:) - I think I ooou'ed and ahh'd just enough;) The treescapes, too, just awe and inspire me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, they did indeed purchase! Thanks for helping build the "enthusiasm"....loved meeting you and know our paths will cross soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts