Capturing The Castle: A French Fortnight






Chateau Orquevaux

Believe me, I know I am a fortunate soul.  I paint, I travel,  I paint.  And last Fall, I was crazy lucky to spend 2 weeks of this vicious cycle at Chateau d'Orquevaux , a magnificent estate in the heart of the French countryside of Champagne-Ardenne.  The Chateaux offers artists  from all over the globe, and of every medium,a place with limited distraction and an abundance of natural  inspiration.   
And the best feature of the residency: my new friends!




The Salon.  Site of Music, poetry, laughter and conversation.






















While days were spent painting outdoors in crisp, clear weather (interrupted only by glorious chef-prepared meals), in the evenings I gathered with other artists and writers  in The Salon.

On "Literature Night', we read quotes or  poems that inspired us.  I sat across from my new Israeli friend, Yael, a writer, and  was inspired to paint her in her wine-colored chair and orange fan.
Yael in a Sargeant Pose (Collection of model)











The Chateau's stables housed artist studios including a stained glass artist, musical composer and an installation artist. I left this small sketch as a contribution to the Chateaux's art collection.

The Stables. Oil  on Paper. Collection Orquevaux












The Gatehouse was my home for 2 weeks. By myself. (an introvert's paradise).  It sat on the edge of the Chateau property, within a short golf buggy ride of all the inspiration I could ever want.I created several versions of the Gatehouse.  Each an experiment with abstraction, brushwork and color.





(Same view/different day)Gardens 8 x 10"












Same view. Different day. My favorite subject is always the one found in the spaces between, much like the silence between musical notes.  I often  find nobility in  the arrangement  of shapes that gather in a backyard or below a ledge.This one that included a glimpse of a tourquoise tarp across the roof  of the Chateau's stables.

(Same view/different day)The Overlook  9 x 12"


The Gatehouse: Edge of a village8 x 10"
Castle Garden View 8 x 10"
The Gatehouse: Castle Views  8 x 10"
GateHouse views.  8 x 10"


The Stables. Oil  on Paper. Collection Orquevaux








The House Behind The Chicken Coup  8



A Day In Landres  8 x 10"

Gatehouse (Collection of Orquevaux Residency)
Streets of Orquevaux  8 x 10"


Village  View  8 x 10"
All paintings (unless noted to be in collections) are available contact me at  jeancauthen@yahoo.com 














Here are some more glimpses of life around the Chateaux and village.
Brigette's House.  Hmmm--"house" doesn't quite describe it!  Most in the village refer
to her home as "The Castle."  I, along with fellow plein-air painter, Ginette Wang, was lucky to paint on her property and enjoy her hospitality along with a wonderful day of road-tripping through the region.

Brigette allowed us to paint in her stunning gardens.  The next day, she gave us a tour of the countryside and nearby villages. 

Me, Ginette Wang and Brigitte Hossard

Brigitte sometimes offers her castle as a bed and breakfast.  This  is her amazing prune tart!


Location  for "The Road behind the Church"

The fruits of my (a-hem) labor.








You can catch a glimpse of fellow resident and all round great guy, Tom Smith in the reflection of this window.
The Chateau Boathouse.
No  painting of mine could do this photo by fellow resident Nina Liemola.



My chariot




Comments

Popular Posts